[Shootout-list] Numerical medium-sized benchmarks

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:09:26 -0800 (PST)

> I would like to contribute some tests to the suite in that general
> direction. Because they have to be implemented in many languages, I
> will try to keep them short (comparable to the existing tests) but I
> would like to be less "micro" and more "medium sized."

imo The short programs you provided are an excellent size-fit for the
Shootout. The heuristic I keep in mind is < ~100 lines of Java/C#

Providing a compiled language implementation, a JIT language
implementation, and an interpreted language implementation, gives us a
good enough idea of what the benchmark is like. You've provided enough
different implementations.

> I am attaching an example (I wrote these three programs.) This
> example
> is drawn from the SIAM 100 digit challenge
> http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/nick.trefethen/hundred.html
> question 3. Our team had two solutions, this is the more
> brute-forceish one. The problem is to compute ten significant digits
> of the norm of a certain infinite matrix.

Hmmm, is there a MathWorld explanation for the mathematically
illiterate (like me)?

-snip-
> Please also consider the numerical integration code at
> http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/numerical-integration.html

Where can we see a "math for dummies" explanation of the problem?

We're trying to keep to a smallish number of benchmarks - so for every
problem we add to the Shootout, we look for a problem to remove. Which
problems do you think could be replaced by the benchmarks you've
suggested?

Alternatively, what gap in Shootout benchmarks do these new problems
fill?

best wishes, Isaac