[Shootout-list] ANNOUNCEMENT Committers, Workflow, When will my program appear?

Sebastien Loisel Sebastien Loisel <sloisel@gmail.com>
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:35:01 -0800

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:40:53 -0800 (PST), Isaac Gouy <igouy2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Sebastien Loisel <sloisel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can take care of my own benchmarks, if you want.
>
> We've started dividing up check-in responsibilities by language rather
> than by benchmark.

If I take on a language, I'm going to stop designing benchmarks so I
won't take on a language. Sorry, I was hoping I could help you with
the workload. If you figure out a way of letting people take over
benchmarks instead of languages, let me know.

For the benchmarks I do write, especially tricky ones like the large
one you're afraid of, I can write it in multiple languages. I've
completed C++ and Python. Ocaml is going to be next. I'm loathe to
write java, but I can look into it if you would prefer (this seems to
be your pet language). The SML/NJ should be close to the Ocaml one.
The C one will be a pain in the neck, but I'll see if I can do it. The
Fortran will also be a pain in the neck. Haskell will either resemble
ocaml, or it will be implemented using type classes.

This should give better coverage than many other tests.

I also intend to write at least one more large benchmark. The large
one I wrote is "scalar", in the sense that there are no large vectors
in the benchmark and all the mathematical problems are root-finding in
one variable and solving ode's in one variable. The next one would be
a vector problem with some matrix inversions in it and other
nontrivial algorithms interacting together to make another challenging
benchmark for compilers.

By the way, does java have floats, doubles and long doubles? (32 bit,
64 bit and 80 or 128 bits?) This'll make the java code simpler. Also,
by writing the python code, I found a short but presumably less
efficient way of writing it, object-oriented. The trouble with python
is that it doesn't have 80 bit floats so I had to write a class to
emulate them.

Cheers,

Sebastien Loisel