[Shootout-list] Re: Coding For Speed

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:12:49 -0800 (PST)

> I didn't mean to propose there was a problem with anything. If I gave
> that impression, you have my apologies. I was merely trying to put
> forth a suggestion that might make the information on the Shootout
> that much more useful to the visitors of the page. If that suggestion
> would require too much work (and it would require more work, since
> there would likely be more in the way of alternate submissions), then
> I understand the reluctance.

Oh we know that there are problems with a lot of this stuff! ;-)

One of them is that we haven't provided enough explanation (even in the
FAQs) so y'all naturally develop your own understandings of what's
going on. (Partly I only realize the potential for misunderstanding
when it happens.)

It isn't even that some suggestion would "require too much work" just
that "it would require more work" - we're really interested in any
suggestions that would require less work :-)

> Fair enough. If I can ask though, what is the point of the alternate
> submission section of tests? I was under the impression it was for
> "this doesn't follow the rules, but it might be how you implement
> something like this in the real world".

How about "this doesn't follow the rules but we couldn't resist showing
it". (One day we might apply that consistently.)

> possible to easily get the speed needed when doing this type of thing

And we get the speed by using a different language implementation.
(Using the lib boils-down to use C for that bit of the program.)