[Shootout-list] Java benchmarks

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:19:53 -0800 (PST)

--- James McIlree <ovrskeek@mac.com> wrote:

> 	I'd like to raise an issue about the Java
> benchmarks. It looks to me as if they are all being
> run with the "-server" option.

Yes, because that is what the majority of Java
advocates demanded that we use.

I do not have time to switch back and forth between
different versions of JDK and server/client settings.
I am happy to use whatever configuration people
want, but I refuse to switch based on the current
batch of e-mail.

If you can create some kind of consensus on this
issue, I'll go with the desired choice.  But we have
already been hammered with hate mail from people
wanting it done as '-server' and I'm not inclined
to change it unless the Java Lobby, Sun, IBM, or
some representative group identifies the set of flags
they want to run under.

> As you can see, it would be really nice to have the
> IBM jdk available for testing as well. It seems to
be
> generally faster than the Sun jdk.

We have the following java implementations in the
test:

GNU Compiler and Interpreted
Kaffe
SableVM
SUN Java

Which of these should be replaced with IBM's compiler?

-Brent