[Shootout-list] errors in clean benchmarks

Diederik van Arkel dvanarkel@mac.com
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:24:53 +0200

Hi shootout maintainers,

I had a quick look at the six benchmarks currently showing
errors for the clean implementation.

fasta, mandelbrot, nsieve_bits, and revcomp are all missing
the -nr runtime option.

nsieve_bits currently has a discrepancy between the file name
and the module name as specified in that file, in clead this
leads to a compiler error

for revcomp I've submitted a fixed implementation which doesn't
use the substring feature as that is currently not enabled on
linux.

For nsieve and sum-file I'm unable to determine what's going
wrong, they work for me here and the build log doesn't give any
useful information. Maybe Brent could have a look and give me a
hint what needs to be changed.

As a general remark: the clean language installation on the test
machine still appears to be off. Most builds are showing inlining
failures which shouldn't occur in a properly installed clean system.
Generally this indicates that the system modules from StdEnv need
to be compiled another two times (twice to get the cross-module
inlining between system files right), the other possibility might
be that the existing abc files for the StdEnv don't have unix eoln
format. Existing clean compilers might then have a problem with
inlining (fixed in HEAD).

Brent, I see that pidigits still hasn't appeared. I presume you
haven't gotten around to looking at the BugNum library yet but
could you at least show the program on the site so that others
don't waste their time implementing it?

Finally, I should be submitting fannkuch and k-nucleotide tonight
or tomorrow. These have been ready some time but I've been staring
at the generated code for some time in disgust. Fresh motivation to
add some floating point optimisation to the code generator :-)

Regards,

Diederik van Arkel