[Shootout-list] Java benchmarks

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:30:54 -0800 (PST)

> From my understanding, The Shootout is intended to give a good
> overall snapshot of performance with emphasis on systems-type
> programming, which makes up most software.

Hmmm isn't "most software" legacy COBOL? :-)

There's *no* emphasis on systems-type programming - sum-file?
word-frequency? fasta? etc

We just haven't figured-out a reasonable way to both compare C with
Ada, (Ruby with Tcl) and compare Ruby with Ada.

Maybe we need to use a bimodal data range - 3 high workload (for C and
Ada) and 3 low workload (for Ruby and Tcl).