[Shootout-list] LOC

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Sun, 1 May 2005 00:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

LOCs are good for mailing-list debate because the source-code is
available online - so we can just look at the code and debate how it
should or should not be formated, and whether or not the LOCs are being
counted correctly, etc etc

What we can't individually do without major effort is measure CPU time
and memory use for a bunch of programs in many different languages.
That's the basic service that shootout provides.

imo We haven't yet reached where we need to be on the basic service.
Too many of the dull chores are left to one person, and naturally
contributors become frustrated when the perfectly good programs they
submitted are shown as Error for 7 or 8 weeks because a language
install is messed up.

Off the mailing-list, people don't tell me what new benchmarks are
needed, or how code should be formated for consistent LOC counts, or

They just want to know why their programs have measured CPU times but
the log file states the program failed, why all the programs for a
language seem to fail because of a bad command line or bad install, ...

The complaints I hear are about the reliability of the basic service.