[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

José Bollo jose.bollo@tele2.fr
Wed, 18 May 2005 07:57:40 +0200

Le mercredi 18 Mai 2005 07:30, skaller a écrit :
> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 06:11, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> > skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > > Why not? If you language is hard to read and you
> > > need more comments to explain it, it deserves
> > > to be penalised. IMHO. EG some special hack in C
> > > which saves time and LOC, but which requires
> > > in-depth understanding of the C Standard's rules
> > > about sequence points DESERVES to be penalised:
> > > good programmers should write that kind of C.
> >
> > In the short tests typically comments are 50% of lines.
> > They mainly make notes about who contributed, tuned etc
> > the benchmark. Sometimes they also make additional
> > notes about the implementation.
> >
> > Most of the time these comments are nice and it would
> > be a pity to penalize languages for them.

I agree

> Why? Clutter is clutter, valuable comments are valuable,
> either way: Comments cost.

...(snip snip)...

> For example: "Up to 10 lines of initial comments
> are not counted in the LOC score". An arbitrary rule,
> I made up on the fly .. any better idea?

I disagree

More generaly i dont care about LOC
For me the more readable and the more understandable it is, the best it is
It would be great to have a reverse sort on LOCs: the more is the best ;-)

josé