[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Einar Karttunen ekarttun@cs.helsinki.fi
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:08:52 +0300

skaller <skaller@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Why? Clutter is clutter, valuable comments are valuable,
> either way: Comments cost.

I like to have the shootout entries extra commented. I am not fluent in
most of the languages of the shootout so extra commented entries are
allways a bonus. Also I would like to give brownie points for someone
who discusses in comments why something is done differently in this
language.

For instance when prototyping health in Haskell (not in CVS) I
implemented a system of open mutable records in Haskell. This should
be a quite familiar encoding to anyone doing serious stuff with GHC, but
I don't think it is very understandable for someone who is not familiar
with the language.

> For example: "Up to 10 lines of initial comments
> are not counted in the LOC score". An arbitrary rule,
> I made up on the fly .. any better idea?

That sounds better than "all comments count", but
I still don't like the idea very much.

- Einar Karttunen