[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:07:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- José Bollo <jose.bollo@tele2.fr> wrote:
> > For what it's worth, Ada too:
> >
> >     function compute_it_fast (x , y : in float)
> >return float;
> >     pragma Import (C, compute_it_fast);
> >
> > But I really don't see this interesting for the
> Shootout.
>
> It is usefull as a supported feature of the language
> yes/no.

As I've mentioned previously, I find this kind of
thing a very useful thing to show in the 'interesting
alternatives' category.

We don't have to be 'all-or-nothing'.

It's useful and interesting to see that a Tcl version
of 'compute_it_fast' would be 100 more lines and
take 1000x as long as the Tcl-using-external-library
which is short and fast.

However, the short/fast external call should not be
used for CRAPS.

-Brent