[Shootout-list] Directions of various benchmarks

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 20 May 2005 02:26:18 +1000

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 13:22 +0200, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> Einar Karttunen wrote:
> ...deleted
> > You seem to advocate tests as black boxes "do whatever you want inside
> > as long as they satisfy X, Y and Z". I would like an approach where the
> > what and how is in the specification and can be discussed on the list
> > if one is not sure whether some solution fulfills it.
>
> this approach (what and how is in the specification) makes it simpler to
> design tests, too. this is worth remembering.

Yes but this is the status quo, and resulted in a test Felix was
doing well in being disallowed arbitrarily and unfairly,  and half
a dozen other tests being allowed to stand even though they're
demonstrably cheating: regexp is one, another (possibly deprecated now)
required maxiumum 4K I/O buffer but the Ocaml code explicitly set
the buffer to 8K .. in one case (Python was it?) performance
was improved by simply not running destructors/garbage collection
at the end of the test .. but that code wasn't accepted ..

.. Ocaml does this by default, Felix 1.0.23 does too.

John Skaller, skaller at users.sf.net
PO Box 401 Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia Ph:61-2-96600850
Download Felix here: http://felix.sf.net