[Shootout-list] fannkuch (timer resolution; HZ=1000?)

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Fri, 20 May 2005 12:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:

> Two bigger problems are that most modern language
> will add much bigger random noise and a bias. OCaml
> running times often vary by 0.1s and I've heard
> (from Microsoft) that C# does poorly in the shootout
> because it has a big startup time.

C# doesn't do so poorly.  It beats the pants off of
Java (meaning Sun's HotSpot version) in almost all
tests.

> I thought it would be nice to do those Skaller plots
> using only tests which ran for >0.1s or even >1s but
> there is virtually no such data on the shootout
> (i.e. the plots are all blank).

So, we should probably up the 'N' on most tests until
we can get about 0.5 seconds or so on the fastest
performer.

Obviously, this causes problems for the slow
languages (since they will most likely time out now).