[Shootout-list] fannkuch (timer resolution; HZ=1000?)

Isaac Gouy igouy2@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 14:08:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Friday 20 May 2005 19:31, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> > --- Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> > > I've heard (from Microsoft) that C# does poorly in the shootout
> > > because it has a big startup time.
> >
> > Microsoft! Would that be Mr Gates, or An Other employee?
>
> A friend at MSR Cambridge.

So not actually a Microsoft press release about Shootout -
disappointing.

> As you can see, half of them are <0.1s and 82% are <1s. So half of
> the current benchmarks are actually just measuring startup time for
> some languages (most notably Java).

That would be why we show the largest value of N on the benchmark pages
and show the largest value of N on the language summary pages and use
the largest value of N on the scorecard.