[Shootout-list] D violates rules

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 25 May 2005 11:48:09 +1000

Could Isaac or Brent please check this?

According to the Shootout rules,
to be acceptable a translator should be Open Source.

"Open source? Programming languages should be open source."

[By the way this should say 'language
translators' should be ... not 'languages']

Digital Mars D is NOT open source as far as I can tell.
Please check this!

The homepage claims the front end is now open source.

http://www.digitalmars.com/

[3rd or 4th news item on homepage]

There is also an open source (I think) D implementation,
which is the gdc compiler front end for gcc.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/

however the Shootout build scripts for D appear to use 'dmd'
which is the Digital Mars proprietary version.

I note D binary is freely available for download.
I suspect the problem is D shares their proprietary C and C++
compiler backend code base (which they don't wish to
make open source).

If proprietary compilers are allowed in the Shootout I'd love
to include an EDG based C++ compiler (since they're reputed
to be the best around).

John Skaller, skaller at users.sf.net
PO Box 401 Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia Ph:61-2-96600850
Download Felix here: http://felix.sf.net