[Shootout-list] D violates rules

John Skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 25 May 2005 14:14:33 +1000

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 19:18 -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> On May 24, 2005, at 6:48 PM, John Skaller wrote:

> > Digital Mars D is NOT open source as far as I can tell.
> > Please check this!

> Thanks for looking into this.  We need to update the FAQ.

> I originally wanted only Open Source stuff (in keeping with Doug's
> original setup).  However, Isaac eventually convinced me to add
> closed-source stuff for comparison.

Fine by me either way as long as the policy is clear.

Of course D is a bit of a competitor to Felix .. I was actually
going to build it and have a look .. they offer a 'binary
for Linux' which shows how stupid it all is: a binary
for which processor?? Linux runs on x86, AMD64, ppc, and
ppc64 and all 5 would require a distinct binary AFAICS.

> In D's case, I intend to include the GCC front-end but haven't gotten
> around to doing so.

So many languages to support I'm not surprised ..

> > If proprietary compilers are allowed in the Shootout I'd love
> > to include an EDG based C++ compiler (since they're reputed
> > to be the best around).

> I'm open to including such a thing, if we can get a free copy for use
> on the build system.  We already include Intel's C++ (which was
> supposedly based on a high-quality implementation).

Probably -- I know the developers. There used to be a commercial
version which sold for $US50, which is effectively a free compiler
where you pay for the media ..  however it definitely isn't open source.

John Skaller, skaller at users.sf.net
PO Box 401 Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia Ph:61-2-96600850
Download Felix here: http://felix.sf.net