[Simple-cdd-devel] Problems building simple-cdd for squeeze

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at freegeek.org
Sun Mar 21 20:42:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:31:53PM +0100, Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Thanks for your work on simple-cdd. It works great for me for lenny.

glad to hear it!

> But not for squeeze? I tried to dig a little into the problem, but got not
> very far.

squeeze can be a bit tricky, since it's a moving target...

> To isolate the problem I created via debootstrap a squeeze chroot. There I
> mounted /proc and a minimal /dev. Then I ran "aptitude install simple-cdd",
> created a test user and tried to run
> simple-cdd --dist squeeze --debian-mirror \
> http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/ 2>&1 | tee simple-cdd.log
>
> I remarked that running ./CONF.sh in tmp/debian-cdd balked out saying
> "bash: dpkg-architecture: command not found"
> Running "aptitude install dpkg-dev" fixed this error.
> Is this a missing depends of debian-cd or simple-cdd?

CONF.sh is part of debian-cd, and calls dpkg-architecture. seems like a bug
report on debian-cd is in order, if not already filed.

> Then I reran above mentioned command again.
>
> But I still got the following errors in the attached log.
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > file:/home/test/tmp//mirror/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
> > File not found E: Some index files failed to download, they have been
> > ignored, or old ones used instead.
>
> > You need a Debian mirror with the doc directory!
> But the debian mirror
> >     Failed to start disc 1, error 256
> > make: *** [image-trees] Error 9
> > purging /home/test/tmp//extras
> > simple-cdd: extra files for simple-cdd
> > find: `/home/test/tmp//cd-build/squeeze/CD1/pool': No such file or
> > directory ERROR: missing required packages from profile default:  less
> > ERROR: missing required packages from profile default:  simple-cdd-profiles
> > WARNING: missing optional packages from profile default:  grub
> > popularity-contest localization-config console-tools usbutils acpi acpid
> > eject lvm2 mdadm cryptsetup reiserfsprogs jfsutils xfsprogs type-handling
> > debootstrap busybox syslinux-common syslinux
>
> Then I added wget and rsync as mirror-tools to make it look like
> > simple-cdd --dist squeeze --mirror-tools "wget rsync" --debian-mirror \
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
>
> Now I only have the following error:
> >   CD 1 (not) filled with 429 packages, 81524 blocks, 166961152 bytes
> > Finished: 429 packages placed
> > purging /home/test/tmp//extras
> > simple-cdd: extra files for simple-cdd
> > ERROR: missing required packages from profile default:  simple-cdd-profiles
> This seems very odd to me. Is the mirror in a bad state?

could be... sometimes wiping out the tmp directory in the working dir (i.e.
where you run simple-cdd from) can help deal with runs that went badly. of
course, you'll have to download the content all over again. alternately, just
wiping out tmp/mirror/db can be really helpful.

> Do you know why (and shouldn't it be documented somewhere) we need to specify
> the mirrortools for squeeze?

it shouldn't be necessary.

if reprepro wasn't installed, it might not work, as it hard-codes "wget
reprepro".  though, from your logs, it looks like it was using reprepro...

there is some code to support debpartial-mirror instead of reprepro, but i
should probably remove the dependency on debpartial-mirror, as it has literally
been 3+ years since it's been tested. i should also probably have it at least
attempt to do some sanity checking to see if the selected mirror tools are
installed.

i'll try and do some simple-cdd testing in the next few weeks and see if there
are needed changes worth uploading. patches always appreciated, too :)

live well,
  vagrant