[Simple-cdd-devel] how to use wheezy-backports in simple-cdd?

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Fri Dec 19 19:43:19 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-19, Dmitry Lukin wrote:
> Explain me in short how to use wheezy-backports in simple-cdd? I want to
> have got mate in my custom install iso. But what I wouldn't do it is always
> ERROR: missing required packages from profile auto:  mate (or another
> packages from wheezy-backports). Generally speaking i don't know where i
> need to set on simple-cdd configuration wheezy-backport.

I'm assuming you're using simple-cdd 0.3.14 from wheezy.

Unfortunately, simple-cdd 0.3.14 has only very crude support for
backports, with little to no dependency resolution. So it may require
specifying the entire dependency chain for mate-desktop-environment...

Version 0.5.0 of simple-cdd has some improvements to backports support,
but it's still a bit crude.

> $bash -x build-simple-cdd --dist wheezy-backpack --conf ./custom.conf
> 2>&1 | tee build-simple-cdd.log

The reason this failed is because "wheezy-backpack" doesn't exist, but
even if you used "wheezy-backports" it would fail as backports doesn't
contain the full wheezy suite and some dependencies would be
uninstallable.

I'd also recommend not using the --conf option at all, instead use
profiles/PROFILE.conf or profiles/default.conf, and then they will be
automatically used when you specify the appropriate profiles (the
profile "default" is always used).

This worked for me with simple-cdd 0.5.0:

profiles/mate-backports.conf:

  backports="true"
  backports_filter_formula='maintainer (== MATE Packaging Team <pkg-mate-team at lists.alioth.debian.org>)'

profiles/mate-backports.packages:

  mate-desktop-environment

Then run the command:

  simple-cdd --profiles mate-backports --dist wheezy

I didn't test if it successfully installed, but it created an ISO image
with the bacported mate-desktop-environment available, and the
dependencies seemed to resolve.

live well,
  vagrant