[Simple-cdd-devel] Python modules

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Sun Jan 25 17:42:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-22, Enrico Zini wrote:
> build-simple-cdd has now passed 1600 lines, and I'm sometimes tempted to
> start splitting it into modules. Say, one for the environment
> management, one for logging, one for tool and program execution, one for
> the wget tool ported to python, maybe one for reprepro ported to python
> if I get round to it.
>
> Right now, build-simple-cdd is just a script, although it has several
> helpers. If it gets split into modules, then it'll require to have its
> modules either installed in the system, or next to the executable
> script. A bit like now build-simple-cdd defines simple_cdd_dirs to look
> for its tools either in /usr/share/simple-cdd/ or in the current
> directory or (as I recently added) where the executable itself is.
>
> Would it be ok if I did that, or is there a preference for keeping
> everything in a single script?

I think modules would be ok, as long as it was still possible to run
simple shell script hooks.

I had been meaning to rethink how the tools/* hooks are called; I'm not
sure how useful it is to maintain the distinction between build, mirror
and testing for the various tools. I had at one point thought to merge
them into a tools.d run-parts like directory structure and simply run
through each of them with conditional logic to determine if a particular
snippet should actually do anything.

So, I'm open to the idea of splitting it up. Not sure what exactly it
should look like.

live well,
  vagrant