[Simple-cdd-devel] firmware udebs in dvd

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Sat Apr 29 03:16:12 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-28, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2016-07-22, Javier Marcon wrote:
>> Hello, when creating the installation disk, I needed the installer to
>> configure the network card, so I created the file custom.udebs with some
>> udebs listed:
>>
>> firmware-realtek
>> firmware-ti-connectivity
>
> Since most of these come from non-free, and maybe contrib, you'll need
> to enable those repositories. In profiles/custom.conf:
>
>   mirror_components="main contrib non-free"
>
> And since they're .deb files, and not .udeb files, you need to add them
> to a profiles/custom.packages instead.

Apparently, debian-cd will do the right thing, linking the .deb files in
the package repository into /firmware:

  firmware-ralink_0.43_all.deb -> ../pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-ralink_0.43_all.deb

So, simply adding the packages should work correctly.

>> But I also need some big stuff distributed with the installation disk,
>> so I added the content and used the --dvd option to build the image. The
>> problem is that firmware is not added to the disk, I get a lot of errors
>> like:
>>
>> libisofs: WARNING : Can't add /firmware/firmware-linux_0.43_all.deb to
>> Joliet tree. Symlinks can only be added to a Rock Ridge tree.

Maybe it's only supported "xorriso" which is the favored iso building
tool for recent versions of debian-cd.

live well,
  vagrant