[Simple-cdd-devel] Package location failure building stretch

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Mon May 8 15:34:28 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-08, Scott Wohler wrote:
> I've been trying to use build-simple-cdd to build a custom platform image
> using stretch.

What version of simple-cdd and debian-cd are you using?

Would you consider trying the version in git, which has a number of
fixes and improvements:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/git/collab-maint/simple-cdd.git

Hoping there still might be time to get it into stretch...

> I'm basing this on a github repo for building a custom image
> for an SBC:
> https://github.com/ssinyagin/pcengines-apu-debian-cd

The locale is set in three different ways in that repository (twice in
apu64.conf, and once in apu64.preseed), and only one of them will be
used.

I'd recommend just putting locale=xx_YY (where xx is language and YY is
country) in profiles/*.conf and removing the attempt to set it manually
with KERNEL_PARAMS, as well as removing the locale/country selection
From profiles/*.preseed, as the preseeding doesn't happen early enough
to get used.

Since the apu32 and apu64 profiles are nearly identical, you could also
combine the common parts into a single profile, such as apu-common, and
specify:

  build-simple-cdd --profiles apu-common,apu64

> I'm building with the following command:
>
> build-simple-cdd --conf profiles/apu64.conf --dist stretch --force-root

You should be able to specify the profile like so:

  build-simple-cdd --profiles apu64.conf --dist stretch --force-root

The behavior when using --conf may not be what is expected/intended.

> The problem that occurs is that the build fails to find a package from the
> mirror (task-desktop) and the result is that the default_desktop variable
> is unset:

Does it actually build an iso image? It looks like the tool to generate
the actual .iso file isn't present:

>  stderr: Can't exec "xorriso": No such file or directory at
> /home/odhinn/development/pcengines-apu-debian-cd/tmp/debian-cd/tools/
> make_disc_trees.pl line   95.
> /home/odhinn/development/pcengines-apu-debian-cd/tmp/debian-cd/     tools/
> make_disc_trees.pl line 97.
>  stdout: xorriso -version says:
>  stdout:

Or maybe it's using the genisoimage tools instead of xorriso... I'd
recommend ensuring xorriso is installed.

>  stdout:   Adding docs to CD1
>  stdout:   Extracting FAQ on CD1
>  stderr: mkdir: cannot create directory
> '/home/odhinn/development/pcengines-apu-debian-cd/tmp/cd-build/stretch/CD1/doc/FAQ/html':
> No such file or          directory
>  stderr:     Failed to start disc 1, error 256
>  stdout: Makefile:465: recipe for target 'image-trees' failed
>  stderr: make: *** [image-trees] Error 1
>  retval: 2

It also looks like you're missing the docs, so it should fail to build
the iso image.

If you don't want the docs and tools installed on the .iso, You'll want
to set the following in profiles/*.conf:

  export OMIT_MANUAL=1
  export OMIT_RELEASE_NOTES=1
  export OMIT_DOC_TOOLS=1

live well,