[Splashy-devel] Commit UNIX sockets

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu Aug 17 17:41:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:31:50 +0200
Vincenzo Ampolo <vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 19:07 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > Well, I think we can do it all in the log_*_msg functions. At
> > moment a script calls log_end_msg we know it is finished. All we
> > have to do is replace the log_end_msg function from lsb-base with
> > our own. In this function we determine the progress number and call
> > update-splashy "progress $number", et voila.
>
> If i'm not wrong we can't because the log_*_msg functions are part of
> another package and, in this case, editing /etc/init.d/rc is more
> simple and do the same task.

No, lsb-base provides /lib/lsb/init-functions (or something like that).
It contains indeed the log_*_msg functions, but it also sources
/etc/lsb-logging-functions.sh at the very end. That file was designed
so distros and admins can simply override the log_*_msg functions; in
other words precisely what I propose to do.

> The magic of S01Splashy is that it can check whatever script init runs
> without touching any file that is in the init-sys-v package...

Yes, but it is big and IMHO (sorry if I offend anybody) full of hacks.
If we trigger on the log_end_msg function, it is as simple and clean as
possible.

grts Tim