[Splashy-devel] Proof of concept implementation of using lsb_end_msg

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Fri Aug 18 08:40:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 04:01:52 -0300
Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser at famdijkstra.org> writes:
>
> > This means the update process will go like:
> >
> > 5, 7, 9, 35, 41, 51, 61, 64, 68, 87, 93, 94, 95
> >
> > So the bar will be updated 13 times. But the more scripts start using
> > it, the better it looks.
>
> Ok. Nice.
>
> But new question ...
>
> This file, describing the "steps" that will be done will need to be
> available in initramfs, right? If yes, that means that every time we
> update our init system adding or removing services we'll need to
> recreate it. Besides that, there's also a corner case that's the first
> run when we don't have this list built yep.

I was thinking of running the script on every halt/reboot by putting a
script in /etc/rc[06].d/S00AAsplashy. That way we always have an up to
date list for the next boot. We can't make the list on boot, because
we may not have a writable / yet.

About having the steps in initramfs: I don't think that is needed. I
don't think the scripts in the initramfs use the lsb-functions. The
initramfs won't take that long anyway. We could however install scripts
in scripts/local-top or scripts/local-bottom on the initramfs which would
do the first few steps and then start counting from 5% if we start running
the scripts in rcS.d

grts Tim