[Splashy-devel] Slow from initramfs

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 15:28:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 16:29 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have anybody tested splashy starting from initramfs?
> Does anybody see the same slow behavior I see?
>
> The version in trunk seems to survive pivot_root etc pervectly, but for
> some reason it makes booting really slow.
> For the sake of comparison I removed the socket code and the
> key event thread (also no splashy-init). Starting in rcS.d (after
> initramfs) gives me:
>
> 0 print /etc/rcS.d/S03udev
> 2 print /etc/rcS.d/S07hdparm
> 17 print /etc/rcS.d/S43portmap
> 23 print /etc/rcS.d/S70x11-common
> 23 print /etc/rcS.d/S70x11-common
> 24 print /etc/rc2.d/S18portmap
> 24 print /etc/rc2.d/S20dbus
> 33 print /etc/rc2.d/S21nfs-common
> 34 print /etc/rc2.d/S89atd
> 34 print /etc/rc2.d/S89cron
> 36 print /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm
>
> Starting on initramfs:
>
> 0 print /etc/rcS.d/S03udev
> 3 print /etc/rcS.d/S07hdparm
> 15 print /etc/rcS.d/S43portmap
> 21 print /etc/rcS.d/S70x11-common
> 21 print /etc/rcS.d/S70x11-common
> 40 print /etc/rc2.d/S18portmap
> 73 print /etc/rc2.d/S20dbus
> 122 print /etc/rc2.d/S21nfs-common
> 124 print /etc/rc2.d/S89atd
> 124 print /etc/rc2.d/S89cron
> 127 print /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm
>
> So that's 90 sec longer! I also tried to launch it after udev started
> in initramfs, but that didn't help either.
> The only thing that is still left to blame is using the framebuffer
> it self...
>
> Ideas?

uhm.. splashy loses time during all the boot process, there is not a
step in which it loses all the 90 seconds.
This means that splashy is angry of Cpu cicles and if splashy-init is
not the resource-angry script it's splashy itself.

This means that we should recheck the code...
--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://www.nanofreesoft.org