[Splashy-devel] Splashy 0.3.7 released

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 04:49:34 UTC 2007

Hello all,

As you may already know, Splashy 0.3.7 has been unleashed! There are a lot
of bug fixes (and features) packed into this tiny binary!

$> ldd /sbin/splashy
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libsplashycnf.so.1 => /lib/libsplashycnf.so.1 (0xb7f2d000)
        libsplashy.so.1 => /lib/libsplashy.so.1 (0xb7f26000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7f1b000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7ef6000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb7e39000)
        libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 (0xb7de2000)
        libfusion-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libfusion-0.9.so.25 (0xb7ddc000)
        libdirect-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libdirect-0.9.so.25 (0xb7dcc000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7db4000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7c6a000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f48000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c66000)
$> du -sh /sbin/splashy
24K     /sbin/splashy

Yep. Splashy is now dynamically compiled by default! Now that's going to
make a lot of our friends happy (Fedora?). libsplashy{1,cnf} are just as
small. And Splashy works like a charm from initramfs.

See http://alioth.debian.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=1082 for more.

Gsplashy and Qsplashy releases will follow soon. Gsplashy is ready to go,
so, we will post it to our Alioth project page as soon as I get the go ahead
from those in charge of those subprojects.

Note, because of a stupid mistake of mine, All you with copies of the
debian/splashy.git and debian/splashy-themes.git dirs will need to drop them
(archive) and re-clone those sources (
http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/developers). Sorry about that. I
thought that those dirs were only the "debian" dirs and not full copies of
the whole Splashy code! Otavio explain the need for those dirs to me, and he
kindly re-created them from scratch, to avoid any weirdness.

It makes sense to have directories like that for other distributions as
well. If anybody is willing to take the initiative to do the same thing for
their own favorite distros, be my guest. gentoo/splashy.git,
redhat/splashy.git, fedora/splashy.git, mandriva/splashy.git,
rpath/splashy.git are all good names to start. I know the Xandros people
already have their own build trees in-house, and so does OpenSuSE.

For 0.3.8 we should concentrate on the following:

  * more translations
  * support for Gentoo, Slackware, Fedora/CentOS/Redhat, RPath and SuSE
(progress scripts will be included in Splashy distrib)
  * modeline support (manage our own modeline to make it easier for
suspend/resume)
  * and as usual, more bug fixes!

For 0.3.9 we should start looking into adding a few little (life saving)
things like:

  * theme support for password dialogs (for those using resume/suspend and
encrypted hard disks)
  * adding new switches to config.xml to allow turning on and off of verbose
text (something that overrides autoverbose, which is a per-theme config)
  * strong support for fsck and other detection tools (like "is the console
waiting for input?" "should we get out of graphical mode quicker?")
  * more robust graphical configuration tools {G,Q}splashy. It's fairly
simple to code your own hooks with Python/Perl etc... libsplashycnf is here
to stay

0.3.10 and up should really be maintenance code (make Splashy more and more
stable). And all new features should be going to 0.4.

For 0.4 we will definitely need to embark on new waters! 0.4 should have:

  * support for OpenGL themes
  * support to set images on TTYs
  * support on animations
  * support for multi-vector progressbars (whats' the point of having
horizontal bars always? what if we want a circular progress "circle" or
something cooler?)
  * audio support ? (accessibility) We need to consider our visually impair
users. It's fairly simple to use the SDL portion of directfb to do something
cool (like integrate flite/festival and do voice synthesis: Progress is now
at 40%)

I'll add these to our roadmap (http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/roadmap)
shortly. If you can think of reasons why NOT to do any of these (or not to
do them in this order) let us know. And if you think that something else
should be included, discuss it with us at #splashy and added to the roadmap!
(this is a wiki afterall).

I want to give special thanks to Guillem (aka Braindmg), who helped us a lot
(one more time) by pushing new directfb binaries to the debian repo. You are
a hero! Also, Elliot and the guys at RPath (again) for saving the day for us
with such a wonderful patch.

And a lot more people who are always contributing something. You all know
who you are! (and you are all in some part of Splashy, changelog, AUTHORS,
NEWS, etc...)

Now fire up your compilers and start the feast!

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner
jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------