[Splashy-devel] Splashy 0.3.7 released

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:30:02 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 9:52 AM, Pat Suwalski <pats at xandros.com> wrote:

> Luis Mondesi wrote:
> > Yep. Splashy is now dynamically compiled by default! Now that's going to
> > make a lot of our friends happy (Fedora?). libsplashy{1,cnf} are just as
> > small. And Splashy works like a charm from initramfs.
>
> This might seem nice at first, but if you add up all of the dynamic
> libraries, I'm sure it will be much larger than the static version. I've
> never understood why anyone would want to make initramfs even more
> complicated than it already is!

Yes, I agree. We will still support static builds. The problem is that other
binaries which also need libsplashy1 (like suspend/resume programs and so
on) will be able to share that portion of the code. Also, whenever there is
a security problem with some portion of Splashy (say directfb), sysadmins
won't have to bother re-compiling Splashy as well.

A small price to pay I think.

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner
jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------