[Splashy-devel] Splash during kernel startup

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Wed Jan 24 09:04:23 CET 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:34:01 -0800
"Eric Moret" <eric.moret at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read in the "About Splashy" page on the wiki that splashy requires zero
> kernel patches to be fully functional. I am trying to get splashy match the
> gensplash feature of displaying an image while the kernel boots up. How can
> this be done without a kernel patch?

Depends on what distro you're using. Debian derived distro's should
work out of the box.

Basically you should start-up splashy early during boot and tell it to
update the progress bar from your init scripts. In systems that follow the
LSB you can do that by hooking in the lsb_end_msg functions.

The README should get you going. If you have detailed questions, you
can ask them here.

BTW, since yesterday the latest version is 0.3.0. It is not up the
website yet, though.

grts Tim