[Splashy-devel] Splash during kernel startup

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu Jan 25 12:06:36 CET 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:51:24 -0800
"Eric Moret" <eric.moret at gmail.com> wrote:

> booting the kernel, it can either display a splash if your kernel has the
> fbsplash patch set or it can use initramfs to load a bootsplash for
> unpatched kernels.
> More details on gentoo's wiki:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash#Making_An_initramfs_Image

I'll take a look.

> My point is that it would be less confusing to clearly state that splashy,
> even with 'early userspace' and initramfs, cannot display a splash screen as
> fast and early in the boot process as the fbsplash patch set. At least it
> would have save me quite some time :)

We just never realized somebody would care for that fraction of second
you see a black screen. I really would want to see some numbers for
that actually; what difference in time is for a 'early userspace'
system and a 'kernel patch' system.
Also the 'kernel patch' system some things should happen fist, like
(where the image probably is).

grts Tim