[Splashy-users] Re: Splashy Questions

Luis M lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:35:42 UTC 2005

Hello Ryan,

(i have cc the splashy-users list for historical purpose. Read on... )

On 11/29/05, Ryan Quinn <ryan at isptec.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am the project leader of the Symphony OS distro
> (http://www.symphonyos.com) and recently I have been playing around with
> integrating splashy with our knoppix base system.  As you may know,
> knoppix doesnt quite boot like a standard debian box, rather most work
> is done via knoppix-autoconfig.  I have modified the isolinux.cfg to run
> in a proper fb mode for splashy and then added (splashy boot;) to the
> knoppix-autoconfig and it does indeed start (had some problems with the
> splashscreen showing up in the upper left at 640x480 so I just switched
> the framebuffer to 640x480 and it looks ok).

Good to know. Knoppix with splashy is a good combo. I know knoppix uses
another approach to user-space bootsplashing, but, I found it to be too
complicated when we first researched other boot splashing projects.

I have a couple quick questions...

> 1.) Have you managed to get a statically compiled binary together for
> splashy? with this I could add it to knoppix's minirt.gz rather than
> having to wait until the cd is found, mounted and unionfs loaded.

Splashy has been compiled statically  since version 0.1.5.svn11 or so. Check
our svn code. Essentially  you can  do a svn checkout.  and then use:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/ --enable-debug  # debugging is optional of course
make
make install

that should do it. But, creating a debian package is easier and cleaner:

debuild -uc -us
dpkg -i ../splashy*.deb ../splashy-themes*.deb

To ensure that splashy is statically compile:

ldd /sbin/splashy

2.) How does splashy know when to increment the progress meter. I get no
> progress meter at all (it draws the outline but it doesnt move).  Is it
> looking for specific output durring boot?  If so, I will need to emulate
> what it needs in the knoppix-autoconfig (would need to change it there
> rather than in splashy so it will work when installed like a regular
> debian system too).

splashy writes the word "progress NN"  to /etc/splashy/splashy.fifo.

Example: echo "progress 66" > /etc/splashy/splashy.fifo
That will increase the progress bar to 66%

Of course, when writing to a fifo, the console input will be "grabbed" until
a program reads from the fifo. You would then need to run:
cat /etc/splashy/splashy.fifo
Or have splashy running and login via ssh... You would figure it out.

The fifo (named pipe) location is configured via /etc/splashy/config.xml and
/etc/default/splashy. The latter file is used by the initrc scripts. The XML
file is the one that the splashy binary uses. Check the man page.

3.) If I can not easily fool splashy so it shows the progress meter can
> i just run "splashy test" instead when booting without any big problems
> (the moving progress meter that just loops over and over would be better
> than nothing).

The progresbar can be turn on and off by e/a theme's config.xml file.  check
the sample config.xml files for the themes and you will understand. During
"splashy test" the progressbar is updated internally in a tight loop within
one splashy thread (fork'ed child).

Thanks for your time, I wouldnt have emailed but I simply could not find
> the info on your site, mailing list archives, or elsewhere.

And I'm glad you asked. We  might need to add this to the wiki page then ;-)

You could do that yourself by simply creating an account in our Wiki page:

http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki

Sincerely,
> Ryan Quinn
> Project Manger
> Symphony OS
> http://www.symphonyos.com

Cheers.

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you
work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- Steve Jobs in
an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html