[Splashy-users] splashy and Graphics Card's native fb driver

Kushal Koolwal kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 23:51:21 UTC 2006

ecently I downloaded the splashy version splashy_0.1.8-0sarge40_i386.deb for
my Debian Sarge system running 2.6.17 Kernel version.

Now, for some reasons by Graphics Card does not work well the generic Vesa
Framebuffer driver, so I had to compile in Framebuffer driver specific to my
card (called gxfb) along with the Vesa Framebuffer drivers.

Now, by default my kernel boots with the gxfb driver rather than vesafb and
everything is fine, except that when splashy tries to start it gives an
error message saying:
<b> - Framebuffer device unwrittable (/dev/fb0) </b>

Also at some times I used to get error messages like:
<b> Splashy-init: Read only filesytem. </b>

Then I tried moving the S01Splashy-init script to S06Splashy-init script and
now it seems my splashy tries to start but the resolution is pretty and the
Tux splash screen does not fit well on the screen. I can't see the progress
bar. Mind you this only works if I boot pass the parameter for my fbdriver
as video=gxfb:640x480-24 at 60 i.e. the boot splash will show if I boot my fb
driver with 640X480 resoluton. If I boot with video=gxfb:1024x768-24 at 60 it
does not even starts.

According to the splashy wiki
http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/doku.php?id=faq It seems I can make
splashy program to use my own Graphics Card's framebuffer driver. But it my
case I am not able to do it as explained above.

Also, if I boot my kernel with vga=791 everything works fine, but then this
kernel does not my Graphics Card's fb driver which I really want to use.

Is this some kind of bug?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kushal Koolwal