[Splashy-users] Re: just a sad blank screen

Luis lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:20:34 UTC 2006

Ok, after seeing the video, I think I know why this happens.

What version of Splashy are you using?

This is how Splashy works:

it creates a few instances of itself (threads) to do different things
at once without stopping the other apps from running. 1 of these
threads is in charge of painting the background image and does the
progressbar, while others read input from the FIFO/socket and send
commands to paint the progressbar.

In your case here, it seems that when X starts (gdm), an exit is sent
to Splashy at the same time that a video_update_progressbar() was
called with a huge increment (75 to 100%). I wonder what version of
Splashy you are using because we fixed this problem using two
approaches at once. When Splashy reads "exit" from the command, it
sets some globals so that no more video_update_* are executed, and
splashy-init would detect gdm startup earlier and 3 seconds or so
before X starts it sends an exit command to Splashy.

This timing might not be correct in your case. We can investigate this
further to try to reproduce it. It might be that when your X server
starts it does it so fast that it masks Splashy, then exit is sent but
video_update_progressbar() was already called with that increment. And
since video_update_progressbar() does a "smoothing" of the
progressbar, it will do a small loop in a way that there is no control
to stop it at this moment. We might need to move the code that stops
the progress updating to splashy_video.c and use globals from there.
We will discuss this with other Splashy developers and see how that
can be done before 0.2.x is out.