[Splashy-users] Black square on top left corner

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:25:04 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 10:23 AM, Johannes Wagner <dongiovanni at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first of all thanks for the help with the shared libraries. If splashy is
> used on boot, there is a small black square on the top left corner. Others
> report small black lines on the top. I get these if I use vga=792. If I use
> vga=795 I get the square. This happens not only on Archlinux, where I wrote
> the scripts myself, but also on Ubuntu. I read about this also on the bug
> tracker, but that doesn't solve this issue for me. Splashy is definitely
> killed bevor X is started. Another thing is, that if I use plain text
> consoles, I have to push any key to see somthing on the screen after splashy
> exits... Any ideas?

If you don't start Splashy during boot, do you still get those artifacts?
(especially if you don't change anything else)

Are you running Splashy from initramfs? This might have something to do with
you having to press ENTER for getty to start your text console. Try setting
/etc/default/splashy to change to a tty that is not used (after boot), like
8 or 9.

I changed the default for this on our Git repo so that Splashy stays in the
same console that it was started from (tty2 typically, if running from
initramfs).

These might be problems with directfb (in fact, they are), since Splashy
itself does not talk to the framebuffer. There might be a tweak that one can
do on /etc/directfbrc to fix these artifacts... (a good thing to ask in
directfb-users).

Regards,
--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur fbsgjner
jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------