[Splashy-users] [Fwd: splashy]

Mark Walling mark at markwalling.org
Sat Feb 2 01:55:08 UTC 2008

Forwarding to splashy-users

-Mark

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: splashy
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:47:34 +0100
From: Jean-Pierre Demailly <Jean-Pierre.Demailly at ujf-grenoble.fr>
To: lemsx1 at gmail.com, mistik1 at geeksinthehood.net, mark at markwalling.org
CC: Jean-Pierre Demailly <Jean-Pierre.Demailly at ujf-grenoble.fr>

Hi:

I'd like to report some issues I have here with splashy
(CVS from this morning February 2, 2008). I run it with Debian Sid
(which I installed from Live CD Sidux), on a HP laptop
Pavilion Entertainment DV 9000 (processor Intel Core Duo2) and
a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS chipset.

`uname -a` yields :
Linux lennon 2.6.23.12-roo-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 17 20:11:30 CET 2008
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did not manage to get the current Debian package running (that is,
splashy-0.3.8). It immediately hang up, even after all the suggested
tweaks with keymap.sh and console-screen.sh in /etc/init.d

The CVS version did substantially better - it hang just at the end of the
boot process, exactly when 'kdm' started. Adding

if `pidof splashy > /dev/null`
then
      /sbin/splashy_update exit
fi

on top of /etc/init.d/km did solve the problem - so now splashy allows
a complete boot of my laptop - and somehow works.

Well, almost ... Actually a strange thing occurs. When the X session is
ready, the screen becomes partially garbled - about a dozen of tiny
blacks spots appear on the top left corner ; then, the screen becomes
more and more garbled with such spots when one begins to move windows
around.

A simple remedy exists : a single
   chvt 1; chvt 7
is enough to cure the problem, so I added
   ( sleep 4 ; chvt 1 ; chvt 7 ) &
in my /etc/rc.local  to fix it automatically.

Anymway, it took me a total of 3 or 4 hours to experiment all this - and the
result is not very elegant in the end.

Are there better ways ?

A better way would be first to implement a fix for the unicode thing along
with splashy, so that one could avoid the ugly work-around with
keymap.sh and console-screen.sh. Is there a patch ?

If you have any idea for the X problem - apparently a conflict between
framebuffer and X, I would also be quite happy to know.

Keep up the good work,

Jean-Pierre Demailly