[Splashy-users] Issue with Splashy install on Lenny - resolved - hope this helps others

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:10:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Kushal Koolwal
<kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Ahh I see. I completely forgot that S03udev is a symlink and not a actual
> script in that directory...;)
>
> So basically udev should start before splashy should start, right?
>
> I also do get a lot of text before splashy starts. What you can do is just
> add the word "quiet" in your boot parameters in your grub or lilo conf file.
> For example, mine looks like this:
> "splash vga=791 quiet" (without quotes)
>
> This should take care of your boot spam text.
>
> Kushal Koolwal
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:52:56 -0500
> From: mike at mikekelland.com
> To: kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: [Splashy-users] Issue with Splashy install on Lenny - resolved
> - hope this helps others
> CC: splashy-users at lists.alioth.debian.org
>

> Hi Kushal,
>
> I'm also getting that error and I'm getting a lot of text before splashy
> starts that I would prefer to avoid, but I don't know what it is or why it's
> happening.
>
> The difference between S03udev and S03audev is just that the scripts are run
> in sorted order - so the reason for the issue was that originally, the sort
> order would be S03splashy and then S03udev since s comes before u.  By
> adding the a, you reverse that without affecting the order of anything else.
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Awesome!!! That solution worked me. Actually I had narrowed done to the
> udev thing but I was trying to rename S03udev to S04udev or something like
> that.
>
> Couple of comments:
> 1. What is the difference between S03udev and S03audev?
>
> 2. Although the S03audev solution works I still get a Splashy Error:
> Connection refused. However I do get the Splashy screen during the
> start/shutdown. Any ideas as to what might be going on here?
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> Kushal Koolwal
>
> ________________________________
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:04:22 -0500
> From: mike at mikekelland.com
> To: splashy-users at lists.alioth.debian.org
>  Subject: [Splashy-users] Issue with Splashy install on Lenny - resolved -
> hope this helps others
>

> Hi All,
>
> Just resolved an issue with splashy that was having me bang my head against
> the wall.  With the default install of splashy on Debian Lenny from APT,
> splashy starts before udev and prevents it from starting.  This is a problem
> per bug 449457.  Quick and dirty resolution if splashy is preventing your
> USB devices from being autodetected and hotplugged (ie USB modules are not
> being loaded) is to rename /etc/rcS.d/S03udev to /etc/rcS.d/S03audev - means
> that you get more text at start up, but everything will work.
>
> Hope this helps others.

Why aren't you guys using Splashy from initramfs? We should probably
remove /etc/rcS.d/S*splashy since this is no longer needed as Splashy
is started from initramfs only. This is just a fallback in case
somebody disables initramfs support in /etc/default/splashy.

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur
fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------