[Stardata-common-devel] Astronomy Debian packages

Francisco García franciscomanuel.garcia at hispalinux.es
Thu Sep 1 21:43:15 UTC 2005

Hi Kevin,
-----------------------------
I re-send you my last mail,
ccing to stardata-common-devel list.

-----------------------------

El jue, 25-08-2005 a las 13:31 -0400, Kevin B. McCarty escribió:
> No objections from me.  The rest of the changes you've made also look good.
>
> Now I will get into the details of what's left.  I think most of the
> following things are just minor problems that I should have noticed before.
>
> *** stardata-common 0.1:  Three issues.
>
> 1) I get this lintian warning:
> W: stardata-common: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> usr/share/man/man8/register-stardata.8.gz /tmp/zmankYG4Hx:47: warning:
> can't find numbered character 237
>
> I guess it's complaining about the letter í in your name at the end of
> the man page.  I have no idea how this should be fixed, but I don't
> think you should worry about it much.

Yes, I noticed this for a long, but I can't fix it, I don't know how to
do.
As soon as I find the way to resolve it, I will do.

> 2) Also there are still some files with a +x bit set that shouldn't be
> executable.  Here is a complete list of them:
>
> AUTHORS
> COPYING
> ChangeLog
> INSTALL
> Makefile.am
> Makefile.in
> NEWS
> README
> aclocal.m4
> config.h
> config.h.in
> configure.in
> policy
> stamp-h.in
> doc/Makefile.am
> doc/Makefile.in
> doc/register-stardata.8
> src/*

Ok, I agree with you.
I am sorry, I am working with it and I should realize of it.
Fixed.

> 3) Finally, I think the following files should be removed from the
> source tree:
>
> RFC - this is an obsolete version of doc/policy
> policy - also an obsolete version of doc/policy
> config.h - should be generated from config.h.in by running ./configure

Ok, again. Those files are removed from CVS and source tarball too.

> These three issues all seem minor.  It would probably be OK to upload
> the package to Debian even without fixing them (though they should be
> fixed eventually).

Sure, but I am going to try to fix them before upload them.

> *** gliese 1.1-13:
>
> Line 13 of debian/control, change "start" to "star".  Otherwise perfect.
>  Please upload (with the typo fix) once stardata-common is in the archive.

Fixed.

> *** yale 1.0-12:
>
> Looks perfect.  Please upload once stardata-common is in the archive.
Ok.

> *** starplot 0.95.2-3:
>
> There seems to be something wrong with the .deb file on the website,
> maybe it's corrupted.  I rebuilt it from source on my machine with no
> errors.

Ups, I'll review it.

> Lintian complains that debian/changelog has junk in it at lines 131 and
> 225.  Looks like the newline before line 132 needs to be removed (and
> replaced with a space), and the newline at end-of-file needs to be removed.

I don't have any lintian message, but, yes, the errors were there.
Fixed.

> In debian/starplot.sh, line 24 reads
> 	[ ! -d "$SP_DIR" ] && mkdir $SP_DIR
> This line should end with "|| true" in case the directory already
> exists.  But I recommend instead to ship the directory /var/lib/starplot
> in the .deb file as is the case with spacechart, and leave out the above
> line completely.

Yes, I add "|| true" at the end of the sentence.

> In debian/starplot.sh, line 50, "gatalogue" should read "catalogue"

Fixed.

> Finally, could we have starplot Recommend (or even Depend upon)
> stardata-common instead of just Suggesting it?  Otherwise people who are
> upgrading will wonder why their starplot-formatted data files
> disappeared, and people who run "aptitude install starplot gliese" won't
> have the starplot-formatted data generated by default.

Yes, I think that Recommends could be good, Depend seems a little
strict, because the program can run well without the catalogue.
Are you agree with it?, Is so I change to Recommends.

> *** spacechart 0.9.5-10:
>
> I get another Lintian warning about the man page -- this time I guess it
> is complaining about the letter ñ.  I wouldn't worry about this much.
>
> In debian/spacechart.sh, line 40, when attempting to remove the symlink
> there is "if [ -f $GLIESE_SL ] ; then ..."  Should this instead be the
> following?
> 	if [ -f $GLIESE_SL ] || [ -L $GLIESE_SL ] ; then
Yes, I agree with it. Done.

> Again, could we have spacechart at least Recommend stardata-common?

Yes, the same relationship as starplot.

> best regards,
>
> - --
> Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty at princeton.edu>   Physics Department
> WWW: http://www.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/    Princeton University
> GPG: public key ID 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544

Thank you, for your revision. And I am sorry for the little errors.
I suppose that I have to pay more atencion to some details.

Please, if you find something else tell me and I will fix it.
Best regards, and happy end of summer.

--
Francisco García <franciscomanuel.garcia at hispalinux.es>