[Teammetrics-discuss] Error in liststat.py

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Aug 8 19:58:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 12:40:48AM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:

> Yes, but mailbox.mbox expects a file object as the argument and in
> case we directly want to use the gzip, then I have to convert the
> string to a StringIO object and then pass it to mailbox.mbox as is
> obvious.

Ahh, that's a bit sad.

> So if you don't want the mbox archives at all, I can do that
> but then it will involve changing the code at many parts and so we
> should just let it be :) Create, parse and later delete if you want.

Nooooooooooo.
Do not change the code on many parts. :-)
That is not worth the effort.  It can either be gzipped afterwards,
or you could even do something like:

    tmpmbox=`mktemp`
    loop over original.mboxes
         gzip -c <original.mbox.gz>   > tmpmbox
         readmbox(tmpmbox)
    del tmpmbox

or something like this.

Just find a way which:

   a) keeps the original form as downloaded
   b) does NOT require a lot of new code
   c) keep things simple

I just want to save two things as good as reasonable (not as best as
possible):

   a) download time (when recreating everything if needed)
   b) disk space

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--