[Teammetrics-discuss] Never ending nntpstat problems

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:10:42 UTC 2011

> Never ending nntpstat problems

:(

>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/nntplib.py", line 206, in getline
>    if not line: raise EOFError

Since this error was occurring from `nntplib.py`, a quick search
showed that `EOFError` is raised when the connection is closed
unexpectedly. Which I guess is quite possible given that we seem to be
fetching 70000+ articles and maybe Gmane disconnects us because of the
server load (or the connection closes for foo-bar reason). I did face
this exception when starting nntpstat sometimes (error: server load,
try again later) and we handled that. But once the connection was
created, I never noticed the error which we are getting now.

I will handle this exception and that is perhaps the only thing we can do.

The web parser seems to be somewhat ready (see another mail related to
that), but I will fix nntpstat also.