[Teammetrics-discuss] NNTPStat completed successfully.

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 06:14:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

> My old algorithm was not reading the date field but rather was obtaining
> year & month information from the month of the archive in question.  IMHO
> this is more safe and prevents surprises like this one.

Hmm, ok so:

teammetrics=> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM listarchives WHERE archive_date
<'1995-01-01';

count
-------
     9
(1 row)

So 9 such messages. Out of which three are spam.

I understand your point about getting the message date from the
archive date but don't you think nine special cases are not special
enough from 1879288 messages for changing the standard way of getting
the message date? :)

If we want to resort to that approach, I can change it for the lists
on Alioth but it won't be possible for Gmane archives, because getting
the date from the header is the only way.

> (BTW, Alexander Tille is my son :-)).

:)

> I somehow have the impression that updatenames.py fails in some
> circumstances.

Well, it does an exact match only and so it will only do what we tell
it to! What kind of changes would you like to make in that?

> I will try again soonish - but I told you it will take some time.
>
> However, I'm not convinced that the Gmane workaround was a good idea in
> the first place and perhaps it would have been better to follow my
> original idea to parse the web archive.

We are missing archives for some years and that is indeed a cause of
worry, but then, it's your call! If you feel that the web archives
method is better, we will go with that. Or wait for the mbox
archives.(Though we did seem to be missing some authors from the web
archives method IIRC)

> I did as well and it was running without uncovering any problem.
> I need to check the data obtained.  Just forget to mention this.

Er, sorry but you might have to start it again :'( . Last night, I
needed to run liststat.py but I gave the command for commitstat.py by
mistake and then I later cleared the files on vasks because I didn't
know you were running it. My mistake, please run it again. Sorry!