[Teammetrics-discuss] Bibref gather, missing package altree (Was: blends.debian.net down ?)

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:54:03 UTC 2012

Hi Charles and Andreas,

>> I am using a paswordless key, that is restricted in its capacity of doing
>> [...]
>> When I mentionned on debian-qa that I planned to use a paswordles restricted
>> key, nobody commented, so I assume that there is a common agreement that it is
>> secure.

Thanks, I will try this out.

>> Are you sure you need a SSH access to parse commits ?  The 'svn diff' command
>> works well with the SVN URLs.  Try for instance:
>>
>>   svn diff -r 10541:10542 svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/
>
> We tried to do so but the performance to do this over the network is
> pretty slow.  The only reasonable way to do this is directly on alioth
> where a job prepares a reduced data set.  This job also runs > 60min for
> an initial fetching of the data - via network it was simply
> unacceptable.

For a few revisions, fetching them over the network is entirely
feasible. But when the revisions run into thousands (for many
repositories on Alioth) during the first run, that is when the problem
starts as we are limited by the amount of memory blends.d.n has.
Initially, we were fetching the lines of code committed per revision
also but we found that that has little or no relevance as compared to
the other metrics. So parsing 200, 000+ revisions during the first run
doesn't work over the network.

Also, SSHing into Alioth serves our purpose well and we do need that
(for multiple repositories within a team, we fetch this info from
Alioth only). So either we can use the passwordless key approach you
just described *or* just delete the key from Alioth after using it (as
bad as it sounds!) :)

--
Sukhbir