[Teammetrics-discuss] GSoC Idea: Improving Debian Team Activity Metrics

Ershad K ershad92 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 02:42:54 UTC 2012

On Mar 21, 2012 3:10 AM, "Andreas Tille" <andreas at fam-tille.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> only short comment because quite busy.
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:57:59PM +0530, Ershad K wrote:
> > I'm Ershad Kunnakkadan,
>
> Ershad, it's a pleasure to know that you are intersted.
>
> > 1. Ruby on Rails helps us to design and implement REST API easily
> > 2. As we will be programming in Ruby, the code will be more readable
> > and easy to maintain
> > 3. Ruby on Rails helps us to generate commonly used code very easily.
> > Like CRUD functionality.
> > 4. Ruby on Rails has a very high productivity curve
> > 5. Thousands of Ruby gems are available for statistics, graph
> > generation and for many other purposes
> > 6. Ruby on Rails is easy to deploy with Apache using modrails[2]
> > 7. I'm a Ruby on Rails programmer and have been learning it with
> > passion for months and here's my first little Ruby on Rails app -
> > http://rornews.heroku.com :)
>
> I wonder hat point is not true for other Python based web frameworks.
>
> > Please tell me if you allow Ruby on Rails for this project. If you
>
> Please convince Debian Server Admins to enable another web framework on
> Debian infrastructure to let this happen.  I personally do not have
> specific preferences except that I would like to avoid to learn another
> language for no visible *drastic* advantage.  The cruxial point is how
> we could make the system running on Debian infrastructure.  It does not
> work out easily to ask Debian Server Admins to install any random
> preference of a random contributor.

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for the reply.

As you have mentioned, it might be difficult to convince debian system
administrators to configure ruby on rails just for this project. Is it okay
if I learn pylons quickly? As I have been doing a bit of web development
and python programming for the last few years, humbly I'm confident to
learn pylons fastly. I checked a couple of example programs written using
pylons yesterday, pylons seems easy and has a good learning curve. After
all, learning a new framework is always fun :-)

Looking forward for your reply. Thank you once again.

Regards,
Ershad