[Teammetrics-discuss] [GSoC] Getting Started :)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue May 8 07:54:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 12:20:54PM +0530, Vipin Nair wrote:
> > tests for liststat.py, archiveparser.py and commitstat.py. And I
> > didn't make much progress because quite frankly, I couldn't think of
> > possible test cases that could match our requirements.
>
> This should be the tricky part of testing. Even I was wondering how does
> one take all possibility into account.

There were some values in the previous database (my perl hack).

  Test 1
   Pick some random / typical ones and check whether these are
   showing up in the new database.

  Test 2
   Pick some monthes in the past when the old database was updated
   (which is not the case any more) and count the number of postings
   at this time.
   (Note: also the old data might be wrong.  Perhaps manuall counting
    in the web archive for some typical lists is the better approach.)

  Test 3
   Author names should have some typical pattern - check for deviations

> Also I am planing to write a weekly report that I will send to this list
> every Friday/Saturday, detailing the work done in the current week and work
> to be done the next week so that you guys can have a better idea as to what
> I am upto.

That's a very good idea.

> Currently I am experimenting with the D3[1] library. It is not the easiest
> to use but is amazingly powerful. The new github graphs are built using
> this library and can definitely be used in this project, if I can
> successfully get it to be useful for our basic requirements.
>
> [1] : http://d3js.org/

Looks interesting.

Kind regards

       Andreas.