[Teammetrics-discuss] Web Framework

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Thu May 24 19:06:01 UTC 2012

Hi Sukhbir,

>    Why do you want to use 1.4? By this I mean, what specific
> functionality is missing from 1.3 that you want to use 1.4 _and_ that
> you cannot do without?

First of all, its more convenient when not to have to use a virtualenv/VM. :)

If backport is not preferred, I'll have to use Django 1.2 as 1.3 is
also a backport in squeeze.

I have not used django enough to specifically pin point a particular
feature. I have read the release notes for both 1.3 and 1.4 and here
are some features I would love to have.

>From 1.3 release notes[1]:

1) Logging: I use this heavily and would love to have it.
2) Uniitest2 module : I have not used this before but was planning to
follow a TDD methodology.

>From 1.4 release notes[2]:
1) Selenium: I haven't used this before but would love to have in
browser tests as well, again a part of TDD.

[1] : https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.3/
[2] : https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/1.4/

None of them aren't features that I cannot possibly do without but I
would prefer using the ones I mentioned above.

> Only after you have carefully considered this should you think about
> using the backport (and that too when it is available). I am not
> discouraging you but IMO it's better to use 1.3 unless there is a
> compelling reason to use 1.4.

As I said earlier, even 1.3 is a backport. :) But as Enrico pointed
out in an another thread, the requirement for being acceptable on a
debian.org host is having the framework in squeeze+backports and asked
me to target 1.3 then. But in our last conversation he did say we
could use 1.4 if the expected deployment time is around 2-3 months and
if its not a backport by then, I should remind him. I also offered my
help to make a 1.4 backport :) So I do think we are safe using it. And
as you said, we should wait for Andreas' comments.

--
Regards,
Vipin Nair