[Utnubu-discuss] Re: Utnubu Team Founded - Merging Ubuntu changes to Debian

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 1 22:30:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:22:03PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> If you still think that that is a issue to be resolved, please write to
> utnubu-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org, I wan't to hear more opinions.

I'll repost my original message to Joachim for broader discussion:

> I'm very pleased to see this effort emerging, and want to thank you for
> taking the initiative.  However, might I petition you to consider a
> different name for the project?  I find "Utnubu" confusing, and also to have
> a somewhat negative impression.  I don't see what you are doing as the
> "opposite" of Ubuntu, but merging changes from Ubuntu into Debian, which is
> a positive effort.
>
> Would you consider a more descriptive name, such as:
>
> - Ubuntu Merge Team
> - Ubuntu Convergence Team
> etc.

A bit more detail about the rationale:

- Many in the community already have difficulty spelling "Ubuntu"; having
  both "ubuntu" and "utnubu" in use in similar contexts will make this
  problem worse

- The use of a name backwards has a connotation of opposition, as if Utnubu
  were the "anti-Ubuntu".  This clearly isn't the case, and we hope that the
  project continues to evolve as a forum for collaboration, not conflict.

--
 - mdz