OT - Re: [Utnubu-discuss] porting pyalsaaudio from Utnubu

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Sat Nov 19 11:49:15 UTC 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 12:03, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> b. Is this an indication that the Ubuntu development is not working
>    properly?  What I mean is that Ubuntu pulls unstable from Debian
>    normally, so I would expect the way to get something in Ubuntu is
>    to get it in Debian.  Only with the exception of some very specific
>    things that Ubuntu want's to move on with.  Thus it would be
>    beneficial for Ubuntu developers to work on Debian.  However if the
>    Ubuntu model discourages the maintaining of the packages in Debian
>    I think there must be something wrong, or maybe Ubuntu isn't as
>    beneficial to Debian as was hoped it would be.

Well. The Ubuntu Masters of the Universe do not generally see their
job in getting packages into Debian, too. Some of them bother to file
a RFP/ITP in Debian, but as most of them are no DDs they rely on
support of Debian developers. On the other hand there are universe
uploaders which do only upload to Ubuntu and do not seem to bother
about Debian at all.

Universe looks more like uploading new packages directly into it
instead of first adding them to Debian and syncing back. It would be
Debian's task, in this case Utnubu's, to setup something with syncs
such additions in Ubuntu back into Debian. It's just that those new
people who actually want to help do not care too much about Debian
just because they don't use it. Please don't read that as an
accusation, I understand why you stick to the "it's my job to add
those to Ubuntu universe".

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern