OT - Re: [Utnubu-discuss] porting pyalsaaudio from Utnubu

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Sat Nov 19 12:21:58 UTC 2005

Him

Am Samstag, den 19.11.2005, 11:03 +0000 schrieb Floris Bruynooghe:
> b. Is this an indication that the Ubuntu development is not working
>    properly?  What I mean is that Ubuntu pulls unstable from Debian
>    normally, so I would expect the way to get something in Ubuntu is
>    to get it in Debian.  Only with the exception of some very specific
>    things that Ubuntu want's to move on with.  Thus it would be
>    beneficial for Ubuntu developers to work on Debian.  However if the
>    Ubuntu model discourages the maintaining of the packages in Debian
>    I think there must be something wrong, or maybe Ubuntu isn't as
>    beneficial to Debian as was hoped it would be.

Don't forget that Ubuntu has a different responsibility system. While we
require each package to have one (or a few) repsonsible maintainers,
Ubuntu (seems to) distribute this responsibility on all developers. This
might work very well for high profile packages, but packages with lower
interested might be neglected. Also, this probably encourages "I'll just
upload and hope someone else will care for it"-behaviour. So, as it is
less work to upload to Ubuntu than to Debian, it is not surprising to
see even Debian Developers to upload some packages to Ubuntu only.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner