OT - Re: [Utnubu-discuss] porting pyalsaaudio from Utnubu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 16:07:10 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen at wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> My main suggestion regarding implementing something like REVU in Debian
> would be: KISS. Keep it simple. There are a *lot* of excellent resources
> on numerous places already in Debian, and what is lacking and would be
> most useful addition in the area of sponsoring is integration of all
> these services. Basicly, to have one central place to coordinate
> sponsoring most usefully, keeping in mind that (at least for the
> forseeable future) not everybody will use it. You'll also notice that if
> instead of intending to replace services X, Y and Z, leveriging them,
> introduction and adoption will go much easier.

I agree. So you want several services already present to be more connected.

> The ideal system in my eyes must be very simple to use, provide a way
> for the prospective sponsoree to add his package(s), and the interface
> must list description, and might also in the future list
> lintian/linda/piuparts output, etc. Besides that, the most important
> thing would be a sort of status board regarding the checking status of
> the package, everybody must be able to comment on certain aspects of the
> package, possibly based on the sponsoring checklist by Matthew Palmer,
> so that everybody, DD or not, can contribute to checking the package,
> and a potential sponsor can based on that, quickly see whether a package
> will require a lot of mentoring, or not, and adjust his actions
> accordingly.  The ease of use of the interface is crucial, it should
> also definitely have a direct link to the source package in question.

I'm not sure if the my plan for REVU2 fits the 'simple' point. We had
some discussions at UBZ about REVU2, the results can be found in this
spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVU2Spec. It explains the expected
workflow as well as the User interface via the web.

REVU2 is intended to help us with the work flow in ubuntu/universe. I
think most of the spec could be applied to a debian version of REVU.
If you have big concerns which part would not be suitable at all,
please give me input, I can consider that during the implementation.

> Last I looked into revu, my main point-of-improvements were that
> comments were difficult to find, and not a la nm.debian.org on the main
> page, and that for every single action you needed some gpg key and/or
> registration etc. I don't think that's needed at all, the information
> revu provides is purely informational anyway.

We need some sort of authentication because we are using revu to
approve packages. This is one of the ugly parts about the current
implementation I mentioned earlier in this thread. For REVU2, we will
rely on launchpad for authenticating users. For a Debian
Implementation, we have some options: Use launchpad as well,
authenticate via other means (db, ldap, text files, whatever) or
switch off authentication completely. It depends on the acceptance of
this service and the actual workflow how it will be used, so we will
see.

--
regards,
    Reinhard