[Utnubu-discuss] acpi-support in Debian?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:03:23 UTC 2005

On 11/30/05, Manfred Paul <manne.paul at web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some time ago, i mentioned that it would be nice, if the acpi support
> from ubuntu would be integrated into debian.
>
> I`m using Debian Sid an ported acpi-support to it. But there are some
> additional things to do.
>
> 1. It requires laptop-mode.
> This package is not available in debian. Only a package called
> laptop-mode-tools is available for Debian.
See http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2005-November/001972.html.
Matthew is switching to laptop-mode-tools.

> The mail difference are additional acpi scripts in the debian package.
> That means, that there are conficts between acpi-support and
> laptop-mode-tools. I think, that we have to so some more changes, to get it
> into debian.
http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/patches/laptop-mode-tools/ has all
patches made to laptop-mode-tools, which would need to be merged into
to debian package. In any case, close coordination with Brad Samwel
(Maintainer of laptop-mode-tools) would be adviceable.

> 2. The package uses xscreensaver:
> If you use gnome or another desktop (not kde) everything may work, if
> xscreenaver is installed and active. That means that the scripts should also
> include the kde screensaver, if kde is running.
acpi-support Recommends xscreensaver, and it means it. If xscreensaver
is not installed, many scripts will fail to lock the screen etc.

> It used the hoary package, because the breezy one included much more acpi
> functionality, especially for HOTKEYS. And my t23 did not need this ;-)

If someone is going to do this, you should always take the latest
version of the package. During the breezy release cycle, a lot of
efford was made to acpi-support to make hotkeys and suspend to ram
working on many laptops. The breezy package features a whitelist of
laptops which are reported to work with suspend to ram. This whitelist
was tested against the breezy kernel, of course, so it may be
advisable to redo all tests with the latest debian kernel.

> But I think we should lock at the new one, and check if laptop-mode can also
> move to debian. (laptop-mode is for the hd performance)

And it breaks many notebooks, so it was disabled by default in the
breezy package.

> AFAIK the new Sid kernel supports all features (on x86) (suspend, sleep)

hibernating is quite uncritical, acpi-suspend assumes the kernel has
working swsusp. Suspend to ram is challanging, because it works on far
fewer notebooks.

How about asking Matthew Garrett what problems he sees with the
package being in debian? He has taken over maintership of it and does
a really good job keeping it in shape in ubuntu.

--
regards,
    Reinhard