[Utnubu-discuss] My utnubu packaging work and what needs review.

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 02:00:59 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I did some packaging work for utnubu group, but nothing is under
utnubu group (maintainer field and svn) yet and i'll explain below my
reasons.

First, the packages and related information:

Package: bzrtools
Notes: Some cleanup was needed to reduce lintian noisy. The status is
that my package upload to Debian is actually the current one at Ubuntu
Dapper. I received feedback from upstream and i'll upload a -2 version
soon.

Package: gdebi
Notes: Michael Vogt (mvo, ubuntu and debian) is coordinating the
releases with me. We decided to upload to Debian only and wait the
Ubuntu merge. I've my own bzr tree (sometimes authoritative for the
releases) but i'll talk more about it below in the problems section.
:)

Package: gnome-sudoku
Notes: The Ubuntu package was outdated (upstream part) i upgraded it
and applied some cleanup uploading just for Debian. The status is the
same that bzrtools, Ubuntu Dapper contains my package now

Package: transset and xcompmgr
Notes: I uploaded both to experimental and not sid. I've ITP on
gcompmgr (not on Ubuntu) but i'm in talk with upstream to put out a
new release (HIG-compliant). I'm waiting David (XSF - X Strike Force)
feedback to upload these to sid

Well, 5 packages and some different cases and maybe we can solve my
problems and doubts that others will have in the near future.

Problems:

* I've my own gdebi bzr tree and mvo has one too. It makes no sense
duplicate my work as "upstream" and "maintainer" into a svn tree,
IMHO. Just to note that it's just a native package and with upstream i
mean that i'm helping with the code and not only debian/ related
stuff.

* There's a "revision control system" mess with utnubu using svn, some
ubuntu packages with baz and others using bzr.

* It seems that ubuntu stuff is moving to bzr, but at this moment it
has no "tagging" and some stuff that i think is necessary to carry on
utnubu.

Closing, i don't think that we can stay just importing and maintaining
stuff into svn as others projects do, but it isn't recommended that we
move to bzr. I think we need a better documented procedure for what
should be used and when. After all there are many guys wanting to put
over all this frontends (REVU, HCT, ...), to help newcomers. What do
you think?

Best regards,
Gustavo Franco