[Utnubu-discuss] My utnubu packaging work and what needs review.

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:35:24 UTC 2006

On 1/5/06, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> > * I've my own gdebi bzr tree and mvo has one too. It makes no sense
> > duplicate my work as "upstream" and "maintainer" into a svn tree,
> > IMHO. Just to note that it's just a native package and with upstream i
> > mean that i'm helping with the code and not only debian/ related
> > stuff.
> >
> > * There's a "revision control system" mess with utnubu using svn, some
> > ubuntu packages with baz and others using bzr.
>
> My CollaborativeMaintenance proposal also goes with svn wince what is most
> popular currently in Debian. But I'm totally open to make the system work
> with several possible RCS behind the scene. (Everything is left to write,
> so everything is possible :))
>
> What is really important in the proposal, is to have a common "top-level
> interface" :
> - where you can see the status of each package
> - where you can grab the latest source package

I agree with your goals, but i think it will be hard to cooperate
using svn into Debian and Ubuntu folks going with baz and bzr. The
system needs to abstract VCS or ignore VCS just putting the workload
into DDs, MOTUs, and others. I don't see a third option at this point
in time.

By the way, we need to see if HCT will solve our problems, we can
extend its code instead hacking PTS as i understood from your wiki
article. I like the idea behind REVU, but i think that we can do it
better, maybe Ubuntu wants HCT to do it.

> > Closing, i don't think that we can stay just importing and maintaining
> > stuff into svn as others projects do, but it isn't recommended that we
> > move to bzr. I think we need a better documented procedure for what
> > should be used and when. After all there are many guys wanting to put
> > over all this frontends (REVU, HCT, ...), to help newcomers. What do
> > you think?
>
> I think that we definitely need a way to document in each source package
> where and how the package is maintained. I suggested that already once in
> debian-devel in a recent thread:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/12/msg01153.html
>
> It's probably time to get something done in that area as well.

Sure, but i would suggest something extending watch or watch-vcs file.
Anyway we will need to push it into policy and ask a lot of
contributors to submit wishlist bugs containing patches to the
packages adding "watch-vcs" feature. Like "watch" it will be a ever
unfinished work, but we can require it for collaborative maintenance
under this "new" system.

--
Gustavo Franco