[Utnubu-discuss] Collaboration between Ubuntu and Debian on the Ubuntu side: a proposal

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:57:08 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> On 23/01/06 at 11:24 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> > On 1/23/06, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've worked on a proposal aiming at improving the collaboration with
> > > Debian on Ubuntu's side (addressing mainly bug/changes-feedbacking to
> > > Debian).
> > >
> > > Can you review and comment on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DCT ?
> > >

> > Hi Lucas,
> >
> > I think we can update ajmitch' spec[0] (or just burn that and start
> > from scratch with his approval) with the final version of this
> > document. Btw, I've some comments about its current content:
>
> I'll ask ajmitch about this.

Cool, thanks!

> > "The Debian maintainer reacts promptly to all input by the DCT. This
> > mean acknowledging bug reports and commenting them in days, not weeks.
> >
> > The Debian maintainer has to upload a new package with the changes as
> > soon as possible to keep the divergence between Debian and Ubuntu as
> > low as possible. This means weeks, not months."
> >
> > I think the text above needs work, simple because as you said well:
> > "We all are volunteers, and have lives. This sometimes creates
> > additional delays."
>
> In my mind, the DCT is like teamwork between some Debian maintainers and
> an Ubuntu team. It has to be based on a trust relationship: the debian
> maintainer must react as promptly as possible to bugs submitted by the
> DCT. I don't think that the DCT members (or even DDs members of the DCT,
> with their DCT hat on) should interact with the normal Debian
> development (reporting MIA maintainers for example) :
> - A maintainer not responding to a bug report after a month would be
>   totally inappropriate when working with the DCT.
> - But it is OK for normal Debian work.

I disagree about the DDs in DCT not interacting with the "normal
Debian development". If a package has a RC bug reported and the
maintainer can't upload, NMU is strongly recommended. We can ommit it
from that document, but it's just "standard Debian procedure" atm. The
same applies to MIA maintainers.

> Also, I would prefer that this document doesn't look like a policy. It's
> just here to put the basis of a trust relationship, not to establish
> rules.

Sure, just guidelines.

--
Gustavo Franco