[Utnubu-discuss] Meeting and first dude

Bart Martens bartm at debian.org
Fri Apr 17 20:16:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 21:04 +0200, Rafael Belmonte wrote:
> Hello, my name is Rafael,

Hello Rafael,

> I have been learning some of Debian packaging,

Great!

> and I plan to package for Debian some packages that are already in
> Ubuntu,

Sure, why not.

> so I think i am in the right place.

True, for discussing which packages in Ubuntu might be worth copying to
Debian.  Help with packaging can be asked on debian-mentors.

> My idea is to use and build directly from source packages obtained
> from Ubuntu repositories, but checking firstly that they build in a
> Debian system

Yes, use a clean environment of sid (=unstable), or pbuilder or some
similar tool.

> and changing the maintainer field if necessary.

That is required.

> If you think i am in a wrong way, please tell me.

So far you're in the right way.

> My first dude is how to manage package version of packages that are in
> Ubuntu but aren't in Debian.
> For instance, lets look package partitionmanager, its version in
> Ubuntu is 1.0.0~beta1a-0ubuntu2, where 1.0.0~beta1a is upstream
> version, -0 is Debian revision, which is cero becouse this package is
> not in Debian, and ubuntu2 is the Ubuntu revision. I want to sync and
> merge this package from Ubuntu to Debian, but what version must I use
> for Debian?
> Should I use 1.0.0~beta1a-1

Yes.

Regards,